Monday, June 4, 2012


 I was asked to speak during the Luminaria ceremony for Relay for Life.  I had several tell me they couldn't make it, as well as some of my family...so I figured since its been forever since I blogged, I would post my speech here.


"I am a mom, a wife, a sister, daughter and friend and I am fighting CML..  I was diagnosed not quite 17 months  ago, and it has been a bumpy road, with difficultly taking daily chemotherapy, and all the baggage that comes with a Cancer diagnosis.  But on this bumpy road I have been inspired, lifted up, supported, and understood. My family, friends, co-workers and students have supported me.   I have a whole new group of friends  whose courage, and strength lift me up on the dark days and make me laugh and appreciate what a precious gift each day is.  I have learned how precious my loved ones are and how  amazing my fellow survivors and new group of relay people truly are! 
Last year I did not know much about Relay.  I joined team Simplot (where my husband works)  I was so impressed how I was welcomed with open arms and how passionate my fellow team-mates were about this cause. 
A great surprise from my friend.
My two boys tired from a night at Relay
HOPE
As I made my first survivor lap I didn't know what to expect.  As I started the lap I pondered the previous 5 months I had battled this monster trying to take over my body!  I was overjoyed and touched by emotion as I watched so many people walk.   It was a healing and indescribable experience for me.  I was in awe at the large number of people walking.  As I walked, I read the luminaries one by one, pausing to remember those lost and saying a silent prayer for each one fighting.   As I walked I discovered why I Relay: for my husband and my 3 boys.  I relay for a future with NO Cancer.  I relay to help the thousands of survivors and caregivers to help raise funds to help other cancer patients in our community, to educate about cancer,  and for funding medical research in the hopes, that one day NO child, mom, dad, or loved one will have to hear the words YOU HAVE CANCER.

The lighting of the luminaria was my favorite part of relay, it gave me an opportunity to reflect on my journey and to remember and honor my family members who have fought, and are fighting.
I just learned the history of the Luminaria.  Although the exact origins are unknown, we do know this central ceremony and addition to Relay For Life came about almost by accident.  A committee was getting ready for their first Relay For Life event.  They had arranged for lights but discovered at around noon on the day of the event that the lights were not going to work.  As you can imagine, the committee was in a scramble.  Luminaria is a custom in New Mexico where bags are decorated and lit around the Holidays.
My amazing Grandmother fighting CLL for 20+ years
One of the committee members had the idea of lining the track with Luminaria bags as a way for participants to see the track in the dark.  The committee immediately ran out and got what they needed to implement the “luminary light” idea.  When they lit the candles in the bags that night it changed the atmosphere at the track.  The soft lighting was conducive to talking about why everyone was there – to fight cancer and honor those who had won the battle. 
In memory of my uncle who lost his battle after 8 years
The success of this idea spread quickly and soon the development of an entire ceremony around this idea was created.  Everyone who took part in the newly created luminaria ceremony was deeply touched.

In Memory of my Grandfather
Whether they have won their battle, currently fighting, or  have lost their life because of cancer, Luminaria are symbols of Hope found at every Relay For Life event. The light inside each Luminaria represents a life, which shines with the Hope  for a cancer-free world.  This Ceremony is a ceremony of remembrance.  It is a way to honor survivors and those who have lost the battle to cancer. It is a time to grieve for those we have lost, to reflect on our own journey or loved ones cancer experience, and to find hope that tomorrow holds the promise of a cancer-free world. "

2 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration! Nicely stated. I am glad you shared this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie,

    Excellent speech!I found your blog searching for CML resources and would like to add it to our blog directory (link below) so that others dealing with CML can learn from your experiences. However, I wanted to get your permission first. Please contact me at nickv@navigatingcancer.com if you’d like me to add it to our directory.

    Take Care,
    Nick
    https://www.navigatingcancer.com/explore/leukemia/blogs

    ReplyDelete