Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Father's Day Blog..2011

I have had a few ask me if I have updated my blog.  I am not one of those diligent people who blog on a regular basis.  In fact I think its pretty close to a miracle that I even have a blog at at.  I started this to archive my journey with CML, but am finding that even though I am fighting Cancer, the journey is about me, a person, a mom, a teacher, a sister, a daughter, and a friend.  The CML is just one part of who I am.  I am made up of many different facets and the Leukemia is just part of it.  I also think sometimes that I don't have anything to blog about.  I wait for some epiphany or some amazing story to happen in my life.  In all reality, its about the little things.  The interactions with others, the stranger who smiles at you in Wal-Mart, or the random person who you strike up a conversation with is the stories that I need to blog about I cherish every relationship I have, whether it be from the Pharmacy tech. who asks how I have been feeling, my family who inspires me, or the random stranger I strike up a conversation with.

Last week I attended a conference for teachers.  I love the creative juices that begin flowing.  I love the ideas that suddenly pop in my head.  I also love the networking I receive and being able to go with friends and just have fun.  I think sometimes I laughed so hard that it hurt.  In my journey I have made a new friend.  She inspires me with her unfailing cheerful attitude.  She always has a smile or kind word and if you ever take her shopping you better have some stamina for power shopping. ;)

Today we celebrate Father's day.  I cannot help but think of my dad who died when I was not even four years old. I know its a sad day for many who miss their fathers.   I also went to visit my Dad (step-dad if you get technical, but to me, hes my Dad) and I felt very sad for him as this is his first Father's Day without his Dad.  Tomorrow will be the memorial service for my Grandpa Clark.  I cannot even imagine the pain and loss my Dad is feeling.  I have mourned a child, and most recently mourned the fact that Cancer has effected my life.  I on the other hand have NO clue what he is feeling.  I don't have the words to console him other than a hug and telling him that I am sorry.  I did take him some homemade noodles, and in my way, giving him comfort food is how I comfort.  It was also nice to do a good deed.  I took a pot over to my brother-in-law who just underwent an appendectomy and made some apple crisp for my grandpa.  Giving to others always makes me feel good.

I have learned in my life, that when you feel good, you give service to to others.  I have also learned that when you feel bad, you give service to others.  SO today I felt pretty good.  I am tired, which I am used to but I feel pretty good.  I am blessed to have 3 boys and a loving husband.  So as we celebrate Father's all around today, I celebrate one more day that I am here to wish those around me a "Happy Father's Day."

No comments:

Post a Comment