Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Joy is in the Journey

My entire life I have heard that nothing comes easy.  I have also heard that there is joy in the journey.  Now one would think that Leukemia would be a horrible thing (it is) and being diagnosed with it would be the end.  Well its not. Not right now anyway.  Nobody really knows what the end is.  I have been praised that I am so strong.  THAT for sure I can tell you I am not.  However the one thing I have been greatly blessed with is faith.  I know that no matter what happens, how the chips will fall, I will be okay.  NOT because I am strong.  Because I know who I am, I know where I came from, and I know that I am well taken care of! 

I want to share a few little stories about this journey.  As I sat waiting in the waiting room for Clinic A at Huntsman engrossed in my book, I was interrupted by a Happy Easter.  As I looked up from my book it was all I could do to not break out in hysterical laughter.  In front of me stood a man I would say in his early to mid 30's.  He was wearing a pink satin bustier and bunny ears carrying a basket of candy.  The interesting thing is that he was on infusion.  Infusion is the fancy word that we all in the world of cancer know as basically hooked up to an IV pole with Chemo which for most is a 4 hour a day ordeal.  As he walked around the waiting room wishing others happy Easter, toting his iv pole, the entire mood was lifted.  We were enclosed by glass windows where outside it was stormy, gray, and snowing.  Instantly this man brought sunshine.  I watched him as patients asked him to pose for pictures, others shook his hand, nurses commented and all I could think is there is a man who is definitely making lemonade out of lemons.  After he made his rounds he came over to talk to me.  I commented how amazing he was.  We chatted for a while where he told me of his 3 year battle against colon cancer.  He said that he couldn't just sit around he had to do something.  In making himself feel better, he was adding a ray on sunshine to others.

As I sat in Stake Conference on Sunday a speaker said.."Happiness is a state of mind, it is something that we choose."

The journey is rough and bumpy there are a lot of dark horrid clouds hanging over.  My new 'instant happy" are fun socks.  HOW can you have a bad day when you start it out with something fun, bright, and happy?

1 comment:

  1. H1 Jamie, yes fun socks do make things better! When I was really sick and in the hospital my daughter brought me fun socks. It happened to be near Valentine's Day and the socks had X's and O's all over them. Talk about felling loved from head to toe!
    http://cmlleukemia.blogspot.com/2011/03/day-3-maybe-i-really-do-have-leukemia.html
    Blogging will be good for you and your journey. It has been a little over 3 months for me know and I currently have some stupid congestion thing going on so I am a bit annoyed, but other than that I am doing OK.
    Hope your journey continues smoothly,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete